Friday, August 26, 2011

Holy Outta Whack, Batman!! Ode to Chad Sharkey, DC, and Small Town America

Well, after ten lllllooonnngggg months of not seeing a Chiropractor, today I finally bit the bullet and saw a new one for the first time in our new state of California!

Believe me, it wasn't that I didn't need it all the while--I've limped and hobbled my way through the progressively worsening pain, which started appearing at about month four. It was that I found it surprisingly difficult to see someone new. Coming from a very small town, where you can take a poll and get several common answers, here you ask people and everyone has a different answer. Impossible to choose among so many providers!

And well, there's the small fact that our Chiropractor in Michigan was so much more than just our chiropractor, he was my husband's Best Friend, and a treasured friend to me and our whole family as well.

There's something very incestuous that happens in a small town; something wonderful that I miss dearly on a daily basis. Your best friend is your chiropractor, your business partner, and he's also the guy who coaches your kid in baseball or football or softball or all three. His son is your son's best friend, and his wife is your wife's best friend. He and his family are the people who are there for you when one of your oldest and dearest friends dies, and you're there for them when a parent passes away. You're there for each others triumphs as well as disasters.

But Chad is even more than that, too. He's the guy who is supporting a local family with a little boy who has cancer, who is having a food drive, who answers his own office phone on occasion and tells you to come right over, a man who gives his time and his energy to his community and especially the kids in it tirelessly, who goes to church and tries every day to be a good person, a good father, husband and friend. He is a healer who helps people feel better than they knew they could on a daily basis, who's there for you whether you know you need it yet or not.

We've all had falls, fender benders, times of stress, ergonomic tension, pregnancy/childbirth/ child holding (for endless hours--getting that pinch between the shoulder blades), BEEN born, been dropped (well, let's hope not), fallen down when learning to walk, fallen down when you've been walking for decades, had sports injuries, surgeries, ankles twisted, knees torqued, the list is endless of the every day mishaps and conditions that mess up the spinal alignment and thus interrupt the electrical system that is our nervous system that creates digestive, reproductive, and a host of other maladies that don't even seem related to a spinal adjustment.

So take it from this small town girl; if you are lucky enough to live in St. Joseph, Michigan, or nearby, and especially if you've never tried chiropractic before or it's been a long time since you have, give Chad Sharkey, DC a call and feel better than you knew you could. And give him a hug for me!

5 comments:

momof3sharkkids said...

OMG, Seriously? Holy tears.....ok, after wiping my eyes. Thanks for all the kind words, you are such a great friend always. And the Sharkey's love the Ganes just as much back.
P.S. Hope you keep writing, I love to read what you write :)

zmamanames said...

Kim that was so sweet & thoughtful! I'm going to enjoy reading your blogs! Keep being real & down to earth girl. Miss u much!
P.S. I did take advantage of the massage this month @ Sharkey's. :)

Kim Jorgensen Gane said...

Aww, thanks guys for reading and for commenting! I'm giving the blogosphere a whirl as I hope to write for a living one day. SO appreciate the encouragement!

Dr. Sharkey said...

wow....although flattering and a bit embarrassing...I am so undeserving of this...I appreciate the kind words, and may need to post this ALL over the office..lol..at the very least read it every morning...miss you guys everyday, and I hope your new chiropractor does a great job.

Kim Jorgensen Gane said...

Chad, you "touch" people every day (literally and figuratively) and you DO deserve it! I hope I can send you referrals through the blogosphere; I'm happy to do it!